Min. of Traffic, Public Works & Water Management
This lighthouse was originally built at the western end of the island of Wieringen, marking an entrance to the Zuiderzee. In 1930, when the Afsluitdijk closed off the mouth of the Zuiderzee and created the IJsselmeer, the lighthouse was relocated to the east end of Wieringen, marking the approach to the lock that admits ocean-going ships to the IJsselmeer.
Tower Height: 45
Height of Focal Plane: 49
Characteristic and Range: White flashing, with red & green sectors, visible for 10 nautical miles.
Description of Tower: Six-sided cast iron, red skeleton tower.
This light is operational
Date Established: 1885
Date Present Tower Built: 1885
Current Use: Active aid to navigation.
Open To Public? Grounds only.