American Lighthouse Foundation (ALF)
Contact Address Information:
P.O. Box 565
To learn more about the Newport Harbor Lighthouse go to http://foghornpublishing.com/Digest/StoryPage.cfm?StoryKey=3843
Tower Height: 35
Height of Focal Plane: 33
Characteristic and Range: Fixed green.
Description of Tower: White, octagonal granite tower with black cast-iron lantern.
This light is operational
1824: 30-foot granite tower (moved to Prudence Island in 1851).
Date Established: 1824 (1/1/1824)
Date Present Tower Built: 1842
Date Automated: 1963
Optics: 1857: Fourth order Fresnel lens; now 250 mm.
Fog Signal: 1873: Fog bell and striking machinery.
Current Use: Active aid to navigation.
Open To Public? Grounds only.
South on RI 114 in Newport: Turn right at Admiral Kalbfus Road. Then turn left at Third Street, then right at Sycamore Street (one way). Turn left at Washington Street, then turn right at the Goat Island Connector. Park at the Hyatt Hotel. The grounds of the lighthouse are accessible by passing through the lobby of the hotel.
Mapquest URL: Click here to get a map to this lighthouse!
Listed on the
National Register of Historic Places
Keepers: Samuel Watson (1824-1841); Caleb C. Mumford (1841-1845); Henry Oman (1845-1849); Pardon Stevens (1849-1853); John Case (1853-1863); John Heath (1863-1868); Mary Ann Heath (1868-1873); Henry Crawford (1873-1883), Lydia Crawford (assistant 1878-1883); Charles Schoeneman (1883-1921)