Min. of Traffic, Public Works & Water Management
This lighthouse was built to replace the light on the church in the village of Goedereede, which was too far from the sea. The optic was transferred from the church to the new tower in 1912. The light was discontinued in 1940, and the original lighthouse destroyed in 1945. The current tower was built in 1947-48, and the light re-established in 1950.
Tower Height: 170
Height of Focal Plane: 184
Characteristic and Range: Group flashing light with 3 flashes every 15 seconds, visible for 30 nautical miles.
Description of Tower: Square brick tower.
This light is operational
1912: Conical, octagonal concrete tower, 108 feet tall.
Date Established: 1912
Date Present Tower Built: 1948
Optics: Second-order Fresnel lens.
Current Use: Active aid to navigation.
Open To Public? Grounds only.