Sri Lanka Ports Authority
The Basses (derived from the Portuguese word "baxos," meaning shoals) are a line of reefs off the SE coast of Sri Lanka. Both the Little Basses and Great Basses lighthouses were designed by James Douglass and constructed by his brother William Douglass of the Imperial Lighthouse Service. Each of the two is said to have received a hyperradial lens in 1888. The lighthouses were rehabilitated in the late 1990s, but they suffered some damage from the December 2004 tsunami, mainly to the lighting equipment. The Little Basses lightkeeper had to be rescued by helicopter. In December 2005, the English and Scottish lighthouse authorities - Trinity House and the Northern Lighthouse Board - announced that, in agreement with the Sri Lanka government, they had undertaken to repair the damage and launched a joint campaign to collect private funds for that purpose.
Tower Height: 125
Height of Focal Plane: 110
Characteristic and Range: Two very quick white flashes every 10 seconds; range 27 nautical miles.
Description of Tower: White granite tower and cupola, with a black band and two galleries.
This light is operational
Date Established: 1878
Date Present Tower Built: 1878
Current Use: Active aid to navigation.
Open To Public? No.
The lighthouse can be seen from the beach at Yala. Diving excursions to the reefs are available from Colombo and can be arranged from such places as Kirinda and Yala on the southeast coast of Sri Lanka. The diving season in this area is from November to April.
Mapquest URL: Click here to get a map to this lighthouse!
Keepers: A.P.L Vasgunewardena (c. 2000)