Stage Harbor Light was discontinued in 1933 and replaced by an automated light on a skeleton tower. The lantern was removed and the station passed into private hands. The light on the skeleton tower remains an active aid to navigation.
Tower Height: 36
Height of Focal Plane: 40
Description of Tower: White conical cast iron tower.
This light is not operational
1880 two story wood frame keeper's house (attached to tower), boat shed, outhouse.
Date Established: 1880
Date Present Tower Built: 1880
Date Deactivated: 1933
Optics: 1880: Fifth order Fresnel lens.
Current Use: Private residence.
Open To Public? No.
Stage Harbor Light is accessible via a one-mile walk on Harding's Beach. Turn off MA 28 onto Barn Hill Road heading south. Bear right onto Harding's Beach Road and continue to the parking lot. There is a sandy trail leading to the lighthouse. The lighthouse can also be seen across Stage Harbor. From the MA 28 rotary in Chatham, head south on Stage Harbor Road. The Atwood House Museum of the Chatham Historical Society, exhibiting the old lantern and lens from Chatham Light, will be on your left. Continue on Stage Harbor Road; turn right at Champlain Road. A short distance past the intersection of Champlain and Battlefield roads, bear left onto Sears Road. Turn left at Sears Point Road and continue to a public boat landing. The light station can be seen across the harbor.
Mapquest URL: Click here to get a map to this lighthouse!
Keepers: Enoch Eldredge (1880-1884); George Folger (1884-1900); Charles Ireland (1900-1904); Joseph Wood (1904-1906); Alfred A. Howard (1906-1916); Mills Gunderson (1916-1919); Stanley Gunderson (1919-1933).