U.S. Coast Guard
In 1927 Hospital Point Light became a range light, with a light in the steeple of Beverly's First Baptist Church serving as the rear range light. In the late 1940s the light station became the residence of the Commander of the First Coast Guard District and his family.
Tower Height: 45
Height of Focal Plane: 70
Characteristic and Range: Fixed white.
Description of Tower: White, square pyramidal brick tower with black cast iron lantern.
This light is operational
1871 two story wood keeper's house (modified and enlarged), oil house, garage, equipment building.
Date Established: 1872
Date Present Tower Built: 1872
Date Automated: 1947
Optics: 1872: 3 1/2 order Fresnel lens (still in use).
Current Use: Active aid to navigation, housing for Commander of the First Coast Guard District.
Open To Public? no
The lighthouse station is not open to the public, with the exception of one day in early August each year when an open house is held, in conjunction with Beverly Homecoming Week. To reach the lighthouse from MA 1A North: After coming into Beverly from Salem, turn right at Stone Street, then left on Lothrop Street (MA 127). Turn right onto Dane Street at a traffic light, then right on Corning Street. Follow Corning into Bayview Avenue. The lighthouse is at the end of Bayview. There is no parking but you may be able to pull over at the turnaround for a few minutes. The lighthouse is also visible from Lynch Park in Beverly. It can also be seen from occasional lighthouse cruises offered by the Friends of the Boston Harbor Islands; call (781) 740-4290 for information.
Listed on the
National Register of Historic Places
Keepers: Arthur Small (1939-?).