This lighthouse was destroyed by fire in 1950 after being replaced by a skeleton tower in 1938.
Description of Tower: 1838: Light on keeper's dwelling; 1868: Short tower on roof of 2-story keeper's dwelling, originally on screwpile foundation in marsh, moved about 1000 feet inland to brick pier foundation in 1878.
This light is not operational
Date Established: 1838
Date Deactivated: 1938
Date Automated: 1921
Optics: 1838: 10 lamps and parabolic reflectors; 1856: Fifth order Fresnel lens.
Current Use: Destroyed.
Keepers: Thomas Shropshire (5/20/1871 - 7/10/1880), George Shropshire (acting keeper 7/10/1880, keeper 10/8/1880 - 11/9/1885)