Victoria Seaport Museum
This lighthouse houses two lights -- the Leards Range Front Light and the Palmers Range Rear Light. It is one of the rare lighthouses that has two light list numbers assigned to it. Each light has its own daymark. For Leards Front, this is a long red stripe that is painted on the tower itself. It is located about 852 m (about 2837 ft) from the front light. For Palmers Rear, it is also a red stripe but much shorter and painted on a board that is attached to the gallery of the tower; this board (in the shape of an inverted, truncated triangle) is at an angle relative to the tower so that its stripe lines up with a similar stripe on the Palmers Front light, which is a skeleton tower on the shoreline, about 121 meters away.
Tower Height: 35
Height of Focal Plane: 37
Characteristic and Range: Fixed green. (The light for Palmers Range Rear is fixed red.)
This light is operational
Date Established: 1878
Date Present Tower Built: 1878
Current Use: Active aid to navigation.
Open To Public? Grounds only; tower open at times.
The lighthouse houses am exhibit called "Keepers of the Light."
Turn off the Trans Canada Route 1 at Crapaud or Hampton and head to Victoria. This lighthouse is easily found near the wharf not far from Victoria Provincial Park. It may be open for public viewing in summer. (Thanks to PEI Lighthouse Society.)