This lighthouse is located within the Orford Ness National Nature Reserve; see www.nationaltrust.org.uk/orfordness/ for information. In July 2013 Trinity House decommissioned the lighthouse and left it to the elements and the approaching sea. Because of the government restrictions on the delicate eco-system of the area, it was decided not to move the lighthouse and instead let it succumb to the sea.
Tower Height: 98
Height of Focal Plane: 92
Characteristic and Range: Flash every 5 seconds, with fixed sector light located halfway up the tower.
Description of Tower: White, conical tower with two red horizontal stripes.
This light is operational
Date Established: 1634
Date Present Tower Built: 1792
Date Automated: 1964
Current Use: Active aid to navigation.
Open To Public? Grounds only.
Access has been established via a National Trust ferry from Orford Quay. The Red Trail leads to the lighthouse. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org