A new aluminum bridge to the lighthouse station was built in 1998 and the site is now open to visitors.
Tower Height: 92
Height of Focal Plane: 197
Characteristic and Range: White flash every 10 seconds, visible for 20 nautical miles.
Description of Tower: White, conical tower.
This light is operational
Date Established: 1809
Date Present Tower Built: 1809
Date Automated: 1983
Optics: First order catadioptric Fresnel lens.
Fog Signal: Horn, one-second blast every 30 seconds.
Current Use: Active aid to navigation.
Open To Public? Yes.
At the lighthouse station there are exhibits on the bird life and the natural environment, the history of the lighthouse, and the natural habitat and complex rock formations of the island. The lighthouse is open to the public from Easter to the end of September, 10:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Tickets are available at the South Stack Cafe, where there is a large parking area.
South Stack Lighthouse is located three miles from Holyhead. You can follow signs from both Holyhead and Trearddur Bay. The lighthouse is reached by a steep stone stairway with about 400 steps and a footbridge over a deep water channel.