New Zealand Historic Places Trust
This was the first lighthouse in New Zealand, and the only lighthouse in New Zealand to ever have a woman keeper. It was replaced by Baring Head Lighthouse in 1935.
Tower Height: 33
Description of Tower: White, octagonal cast iron tower; lantern roof is black.
This light is not operational
Date Established: 1859
Date Present Tower Built: 1858
Date Deactivated: 1935
Current Use: Historic site.
Open To Public? Grounds only.
The lighthouse is accessible via a narrow rocky path running off Pencarrow Coast Road, past Eastbourne.
Keepers: Mary Jane Bennett (1859-c. 1865), William Lyall (assistant, c. 1860), ? Parks (c. 1910), Hugh Jamieson (temporary, 1920)