Maritime New Zealand
This lighthouse replaced Pencarrow Light, the oldest lighthouse in New Zealand. It was the first lighthouse in New Zealand to be built with electricity as its power source.
Tower Height: 39
Height of Focal Plane: 285
Characteristic and Range: Nine seconds white alternating with 6 seconds darkness.
Description of Tower: White, octagonal concrete tower.
This light is operational
Date Established: 1935
Date Present Tower Built: 1935
Date Automated: 1989
Current Use: Active aid to navigation.
This lighthouse is difficult to reach and the surrounding area is privately owned; it is probably best viewed by boat, including the Cook Strait ferry.
Keepers: R. S. Wilson (c. 1942), Steve O'Neill (c. 1980s)