Petit Manan National Wildlife Refuge
Contact Address Information:
P.O. Box 279
This is considered one of the foggiest locations on the coast; in 1918 the fog signal sounded for 1,906 hours, the most of any Maine station. Under the Maine Lights Program, the lighthouse was transferred to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service in 1998.
Tower Height: 42
Height of Focal Plane: 91
Characteristic and Range: Two white flashes every 20 seconds.
Description of Tower: White conical granite tower with black cast iron lantern.
This light is operational
1884 brick fog signal building.
Date Established: 1823
Date Present Tower Built: 1824
Date Automated: 1974
Optics: 1855: Fourth order Fresnel lens; 1974: DCB-224; 2000: VRB-25, solar powered.
Fog Signal: 1849: Fog bell; 1867: Fog bell tower rebuilt; 1884: Daboll fog trumpet; 1891: Steam whistle; now automated fog horn with one blast every 15 seconds.
Current Use: Active aid to navigation in national wildlife refuge.
Open To Public? No.
Libby Island Light can be seen distantly from Jasper Beach in Machiasport, but is best seen by boat. To get to Jasper Beach from US Route 1, head south on ME 92 for a little over nine miles. Turn left at a "Jasper Beach/Machiasport" sign and continue to the parking area. The lighthouse can be seen about four miles offshore. Captain Andrew Patterson runs trips from Cutler and may also be able to take you to Libby Island; call (207) 259-4484.
Mapquest URL: Click here to get a map to this lighthouse!
Listed on the
National Register of Historic Places
Keepers: John McKellar (c. 1830s); Isaac Sterns (1842-1846); Matthew Kellar (1846-1850 and 1853-1860); John Grant (1850-1853); James W. Foster (1860-1871); John C. Ames (1871-1877); Charles A. Drisko (1877-1883); William H. Drisko (1883-1885); A. M. Drisko (1885-1891); Danford O. French (1891-1895); Frederic W. Morong (1895-1898); Bela W. Proctor (first assistant, 1894-?); Roscoe G. Johnson (second assistant 1894-1896, head keeper 1898-1901); Henry M. Cuskley (1903-?); Charles A. Kenney (1905-1912); Hervey H. Wass (1919-1940), George Woodward (assistant?, ?-c.1924); Gleason W. Colbeth (assistant, 1930s), Jasper L. Cheney (assistant 1933-1940, head keeper 1940-1949), Gene Watts (Coast Guard, 1949), Bill Bybee (Coast Guard, 1949-1950), Robert W. Brooks (Coast Guard Fireman First Class, c. 1950-1951); ENC Paul J. Kessler (1953); Frank Dernoga (Coast Guard, c. 1952-1954); Roger Lee Drinkwater (Coast Guard, c. 1958), SN George Morrison (Coast Guard, 1963); EN2 Larry Smith (Coast Guard, c. 1963); Harold Allen (Coast Guard, c. 1965-1966), Richard "Gary" Craig (Coast Guard, 1966-1967); Donald Costantino (Coast Guard, 1968-1969), Alan (Skip) Skidmore (Coast Guard, 1969-1972), Jay Novegrod (Coast Guard, c. 1969-1972)