Search ||  A  B  C  D  E  F  G  H  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X  Y  Z 

Name: Heron Neck Light   Map it!

Feedback to the database manager

Nearest Town or City:
Vinalhaven, Maine, United States

Location: On Greens Island, two miles southwest of Vinalhaven.

Click to enlarge: Photo   
Photo: Jeremy D'Entremont
Related Photos

Managing Organization:
Island Institute

Telephone: 207-594-9209


Contact Address Information:
410 Main Street
Maine, 04841, United States

An electrical fire badly damaged the keeper's house in April 1989. The Coast Guard at first planned to raze the building, but it was eventually leased to the Island institute and restored by a private individual for $200,000.

Tower Height: 30

Height of Focal Plane: 92

Characteristic and Range: Fixed red with a white sector.

Description of Tower: Cylindrical white brick tower attached to keeper's house.

This light is operational

Other Buildings?
1895 1.5 story keeper's house, generator building, 1903 oil house.

Date Established: 1854

Date Present Tower Built: 1854

Date Automated: 1982

Optics: 1854: Fifth order Fresnel lens; 1982: 300 mm.

Fog Signal: Fog bell and striking apparatus in bell tower, later a fog horn. Now an automated horn with one blast every 30 seconds.

Current Use: Active aid to navigation, research facility.

Open To Public? No.

Heron Neck Light is best seen by boat. Some of the special lighthouse cruises on board the Lively Lady Too out of Camden may offer views of Heron Neck Light; see for information.

Mapquest URL: Click here to get a map to this lighthouse!

Listed on the National Register of Historic Places

Keepers: James Smith (185?-1870); John Green (1870-1883); Sarah J. Green (1883); Nathaniel Hartwell (1883-1890); Edward K. Tapley (1890-1900); Levi L. Farnham (1900-1911); Joseph A. Farnham (1911); Fred M. Robbins (1911-1930); Clinton Dalzell (assistant, c. 1928-?); Andrew Bennett (1930-1948); William Parmenter (Coast Guard, c. 1949-?); Paul Manning (Coast Guard, assistant, c. 1949); Ernest DeRaps (Coast Guard, 1959-1961); Kermit Scarborough (Coast Guard officer in charge, c. 1959-1961); James Woods (Coast Guard assistant 1960-61)


to Lighthouse Digest

USLHS Marker Fund

Lighthouse Jewelry

Lighthouse Service Sweatshirt

Subscribe   Contact Us   About Us   Copyright Foghorn Publishing, 1994- 2018 Lighthouse Facts       Lighthouse History