Canadian Coast Guard/Georges Island National Historic Site
This lighthouse serves as a range light with a skeleton tower. The fortifications on George's Island are being restored, and the island will eventually be open to the public.
Tower Height: 54
Height of Focal Plane: 58
Characteristic and Range: Fixed white.
Description of Tower: White, octagonal concrete tower with aluminum lantern, red roof; fluorescent red vertical stripe on side facing harbour.
This light is operational
Fog signal building.
1876: 35-foot wooden tower with two lights (20 feet apart vertically), destroyed by fire 1916.
Date Established: 1876
Date Present Tower Built: 1917
Date Automated: 1972
Fog Signal: Automated horn: three second blast every 30 seconds.
Current Use: Active aid to navigation.
Open To Public? No.
George's Island is accessible only by boat, but the lighthouse can be viewed from the southern end of Halifax's boardwalk.
Keepers: Robert Ross (1876-1920), Stewart Ross (1915), Lovell Ross (1915-1920), Wallace H. ( Paddy) Nolan (1920-1946), Earl Edwards (1946), Joseph Bedgood (1946), Victor Matthews (1946-1964), David Barkhouse (1964-1972),