Nova Scotia Lighthouse Interpretive Centre
Contact Address Information:
640 Lighthouse Road
This lighthouse was replaced by the present concrete lighthouse in 1962. It has been restored and converted into an interpretive center with exhibits on Nova Scotia lighthouses.
Description of Tower: Square tower on roof of dwelling.
This light is not operational
1901: Square pyramidal wooden tower.
Date Established: 1901
Date Present Tower Built: 1930
Date Deactivated: 1962
Current Use: Interpretive center.
Open To Public? Yes.
The interpretive center provides information on the lighthouses of Nova Scotia. A craft shop highlights local crafts. The center is open June 15 to September 30. Hours: July and August 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.; June and September: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
The lighthouse/interpretive center is approximately 30 minutes from historic Sherbrooke Village. On the Marine Drive, Route No. 211, at Port Bickerton turn left at the stop sign and follow the signs to the lighthouse. Coming from the East, follow Marine Drive (Route 316) to the Country Harbour Ferry. Drive Route 211 to Port Bickerton and turn left at the stop sign.
Keepers: Theodore O'Hara (1901-1931), Calvin Kaiser (1932-1937), Harvey Taylor (1937-1940), Irvin Beiswanger (1940-1956), Harold Beiswanger (1956-1961), Jim Johnson (assistant, c. early 1960s), Fred Budge (1960-1977), Lamont Lovitt (1977-1982), Hector Lowe (1983-1988)