The name "Perch Rock" comes from the original 1683 light, which was referred to as a wooden "perch" with a light on top of a pole. This lighthouse has been recently restored. It was used for a while as honeymoon accommodations. There are legends of a murder and ghostly presence here in the 1830s.
Tower Height: 90
Height of Focal Plane: 77
Description of Tower: Conical granite tower, painted white except for lower section.
This light is operational
Date Established: 1683
Date Present Tower Built: 1827-1830
Date Deactivated: 1973
Current Use: Signal tower (Morse Code).
Open To Public? Grounds only.
The nearby fort and museum at Fort Perch Rock is open all year from 12 noon until dusk. Times may very slightly in the winter months. For more information call 0151 630 2707. A tea room is available for tea, coffee and light snacks. In the tea room there is a large photography collection of local shipping lines.
For information on visiting the lighthouse and surrounding area, call North Wirral Coastal Park (at Leasowe Lighthouse) 0151 678 5488.
Keepers: ? Garratt (1830-?), Jack Maudley (c. 1830s), William Makin (April 5, 1906 - March 26, 1914)