Digest>May/Jun 2018

Photo Caption:

The Outer Walkway and Lookout
Primarily used in World War II, the partially enclosed lookout and outer walkway at the top of the tower, just below the lantern, was removed from the Los Angeles Harbor Lighthouse in 1957. During World War II, the U.S. Navy used the lighthouse as a lookout station and built an additional structure adjacent to the tower for extra living space. The photo, taken from the water, is an official Coast Guard photo taken on May 24, 1945, and the photo from the breakwater was taken by Wilfred R. Gardes who was the Officer-In-Charge of the lighthouse from 1942 to 1943. (Lighthouse Digest archives.)

Back to the edition of: May/Jun 2018

Story:

Los Angeles Harbor Lighthouse
Back to the edition of: May/Jun 2018

All contents copyright © 1995-2018 by Lighthouse Digest®, Inc. No story, photograph, or any other item on this website may be reprinted or reproduced without the express permission of Lighthouse Digest. For contact information, click here.

Featured
Products

Subscribe
to Lighthouse Digest


USLHS Marker Fund


Lighthouse Jewelry


Lighthouse Service Sweatshirt












Subscribe   Contact Us   About Us   Copyright Foghorn Publishing, 1994- 2018   Lighthouse Facts     Lighthouse History